What is eau de toilette?
To know how to make Eau de Toilette last longer, we must first understand what Eau de Toilette means. No need to wear that worried look! Eau de Toilette is just a fancy name for something you already know.
Eau de toilette is a perfume that has a light scent. Some refer to it as aromatic waters and it has a high level of alcohol content. Eau de Toilette literally means ‘water of the toilette’, and no! It’s not what you are thinking. Instead, it refers to scented water used to perfume both body and hair. The French word ‘toilette’ points to the ritual of getting one’s self ready for the day ahead.
Usually, it is applied directly to the skin after a bath or shave. It is composed of alcohol and various volatile oils. It contains a lower percentage of essential oils than Eau de Parfum.
Who can use it?
Cutting to the chase, Eau de Toilette is suitable for everyone. Eau de Toilette is somewhat caught between Eau de Cologne and Eau de Parfum. Its fragrance has a higher concentration than Eau de Cologne but a lower one than that of Eau de Parfum. This characteristic is what makes it perfect for both men and women.
Often, the perfume industry makes cologne to be a fragrance for men and perfume for women but options exist that cut across both genders. That is where Eau de Toilette stands and the question of how to make Eau de Toilette last longer tends to ring higher among women.
How long does eau de toilette last?
Eau de Toilette is a light-composition spray that contains 4-15% pure perfume and 85-95% of other ingredients, including alcohol and water. As a result, Eau de Toilette usually lasts for 3-4 hours on skin and clothes.
This fragrance has a shorter life span than Eau de Parfum, which makes it suitable for daily use. Some consider it a daytime fragrance since it’s perfect for after-baths.
Best application practices for how to make Eau de Toilette last longer
- Eau de Toilette is a fruity and refreshing scent so, it’s best to apply it after a bath, on dried skin. It is activated and intensifies with body heat which is why it’s best to apply it to areas of the body that are heated such as the neck, chest, shoulders, inner elbow, forearm, wrist, lower jaw, back of the ear, and back of the knee.
- Apply unscented lotion or petroleum jelly before spraying Eau de Toilette. This helps to lock the scent in and increase longevity. It also helps in diffusing the fragrance.
- You can choose to spray some on your clothes and hair. This adds to the lingering effect. This greatly addresses the curiosity about how to make Eau de Toilette last longer.
- You can spray your Eau de Toilette after dressing to get a perfect scent. Draw a pattern with your fragrance. Spray from your hair to your clothes and finish off at the tip of your clothes. Remember to spray from a distance to avoid hair damage.
- You can choose to make a cloud by spraying the fragrance into the air and then standing under the cloud to let the particles settle on you. This can be very beneficial as your clothes and jewellery are sure to not get damaged.
- To get adventurous, add a few drops of your fragrance to the rinse water of your clothes to achieve a beautiful result.
Following these techniques while applying your fragrance will ensure that every inch of you smells of awesome goodness.
Featured eau de toilette that can last longer
Club de Nuit (Intense Man)
Club de Nuit Intense Man Eau de toilette by Armaf is a woody, spicy fragrance for men. It was launched in 2015. It’s a provocative woody spicy masculine fragrance that starts with fresh fruity notes of lemon, apple, and blackcurrant before transitioning to an opulent floral heart of rose and jasmine spiced up with birch to add a smoky leather nuance. The base notes include vanilla, ambergris, musk, and patchouli.
Perfume Notes Summary
- Top Notes: Lemon, Pineapple, Black Currant, Bergamot and Apple;
- Middle Notes: Birch, Jasmine and Rose;
- Base Notes: Musk, Ambergris, Patchouli and Vanilla.
The fragrance starts out with a strong and overpowering lemon scent that is pleasing almost from the start and works its way down to the white musk. After the first spray, your fourth sense will be bombarded with a citrusy, pineapple-like scent, combined with mostly lemon and a touch of bergamot. This opening lasts for a good 20–30 minutes, and it’s super punchy and projecting.
In the heart notes, the fragrance retains the citrusy part of the opening that stays with you until it disappears from your skin.
Underneath the citrus, you’ll most likely detect a musky aroma.
The dry down is all about the smoke, musk, hint of citrus, and touch of oakmoss. The particular note that gets you compliments each time you wear this perfume is synthetic ambergris.
On average, Club De Nuit Intense Man has amazing longevity and lasts anywhere between 8 and 12 hours. Some say it goes for 12+ hours.
Club de Nuit Intense Man is an absolute beast in terms of projection. It is said to have between 3 and 7 hours of steady projection. The projection distance is between 4 and 5 feet without any problems.
Nautica Voyage by Nautica is a woody aquatic fragrance for men. It was launched in 2006. Its top notes are apple and green leaves; its middle notes are lotus and mimosa; and its base notes are musk, cedar, oakmoss, and amber.
Nautica Voyage is a salty sea breeze that carries the romantic scents of coastal herbs and woods and awakens man’s instinct to measure his power against wild nature.
The composition opens with the cold, green notes of leaves and apples. The composition is laid on a woody base, combined with cedar, moss, musk, and amber.
Nautica Voyage will last up to 7 hours, while it will project beautifully for the first 2 hours.
Not only does Nautica Voyage have a splendid scent that both genders adore, but it also provides decent performance. Nautica Voyage lasts up to 9 hours, depending on your skin.
In the first 2 hours, Nautica Voyage will leave beautiful traces around you, and because of its ultra-pleasant nature, you will surely receive many compliments.
Now, we know how to make Eau de Toilette last longer. It’s okay to choose whatever scent or perfume you deem fit, but knowing how to wear it matters as much. Stick to the techniques we discussed earlier, and you’ll have the best fragrance experience.
Do you have any tips? Don’t forget to share in the comments section.