Before I became a content writer, I was a storyteller. I just thought writing an article would be as easy as putting words together, and there you go, but now I have realized that writing an article is different and comes with rules.
To write an article is one thing and to write an article that you can be proud of, is another thing. Writing an article requires more than putting words together, though it can be challenging, but it is rewarding when you do it right.
Therefore, in this article, I will be listing some essential tips on how to write an article.
How to Write an Article
The following steps listed below are steps to write an article that will be received well and you can be proud of.
- The Right Topic: Despite being a writer, you don’t have to write on every topic. You have to choose a topic that you are passionate about or one that is important to you. This will make the writing process likely to be more productive, engaging and authentic.
- Research: Do your research thoroughly, the place of research for an article must be balanced. Research is the solid foundation you need for your writing, it cannot be overlooked. This will help you present your content in a more credible and informed way.
- Use of Outline: You should use an outline to organize your content and properly structure your article, so your article will flow well because it will include your main points and their details.
- Draft: Compose the draft of your article. It doesn’t have to be perfect on the attempt as long as you write it down.
- Edit: Your article might look perfect but it is not, you have to revisit it and edit it carefully, making sure you pay attention to the spelling and grammar.
- Proofread Your Article: The only way to be completely sure your article is free from all errors and is at its best is to proofread it one more time before you publish or submit it as the case may be.
How to Become A Writer
Becoming a writer is not just by word of mouth, However, you can only become a writer when you put in the work. Writing takes time, hard work, determination, patience, persistence and dedication. These skills are important because as a writer, you have to be on your A-game every day, the more regular you are in writing, the better your improvement.
Below are ways to become a writer:
Read!!!: The first step to becoming a writer is to read widely. Reading is an important process that will help you in writing, it can help you develop your vocabulary, improve your grammar and learn different writing techniques.
Writing Courses or Internships: Consider taking a course on writing; to learn about writing and the techniques, or signing up for an internship to get trained on writing and receive feedback on your progress from a tutor/coach.
Join a writing community: Connecting and networking with other writers is one way to learn more about writing. You will get to learn new keys and views on writing, Join a community, attend events and connect with like minds.
Publish your article: You can not tell how well your audience will connect with your articles if you do not put them out there. Therefore consider publishing or submitting your articles to literary magazines, websites, social media and other outlets. This will help you build a portfolio, give you an online presence and make your writing reach a larger audience.
To become a writer, you have to keep improving, and always strive to hone your writing skills. There are different ways to actively improve your writing skills: focus on your grammar, read books, take lessons from mentors and others who are excelling in writing.
How to Improve Writing Skills
You can become a better writer if you follow these few suggestions:
- Practise how to write regularly, you will improve more as you write more often.
- Read widely and learn new techniques regularly.
- Take Courses or workshops on Writing
- Make use of writing prompts; they help you get started when you’re stuck or uninspired.
- Share your articles with family, friends or writing buddies and get feedback. This helps you identify your errors and areas you should improve on.
- Revise your writing and edit accordingly, let your article be clear and concise.
How to Improve Writing Skills in English
Your writing skills are what differentiates you from other writers. Thus, every writer should be unique in their style of writing, this means asides from improving on your writing, you have to improve on your English. There are a few tips to improve your writing skills in English, They include:
- The more you read, the more familiar you get with English and how to use it appropriately.
- Taking more courses exposes you to more English and helps improve your vocabulary.
- When you share your content, you get a chance to get corrected on your grammar and spelling.
- Always edit your work, there are some errors you don’t notice at the first instant.
- Research additional resources; there are so many resources, language learning apps and guides online that can help you improve your writing skills in English.
- Use Grammarly, Grammarly is an app or extension for your system that is used while typing to correct spelling errors and wrong grammar. This app will help you ensure the accuracy of your English.
How to Write a Summary of an Article
A summary of an article is a short sentence, phrase or subheading that contains the main points of an article. This summary is a concise and accurate way to list and analyze the points of an article. How then do you write this summary? These are the steps to follow to write a summary of an article:
- Make sure you understand the main points and arguments of the article before you start writing your summary.
- You have to identify the most important ideas or points and arguments in the article. These will be included in your summary as the main points.
- As much as you can, use your own words to summarize the main points of the article and write a brief overview in a few sentences.
- A summary should only contain the most important information from the article. Avoid any unnecessary details that are not essential to understanding the main points.
- Check that your summary accurately reflects the main points and arguments of the article.
- Review your summary for grammar and spelling errors, and be certain that it is clear and concise.
How To Write an Article Outline
A well-organized outline will guide your writing process. An outline is a helpful tool that organizes your ideas or points and structures your writing. Here are some steps you can follow to write an outline.
- Before you create an outline, think of the purpose of your article and what you want to achieve. This enables you to determine the structure and content of your outline.
- Identify the main points or arguments of your writing, these will make the main sections of your outline.
- Add specific details that will support each point and illustrate the argument.
- Organize the outline (main points and supporting details) in a logical or chronological order, depending on the purpose of the article.
- Always use headings and subheadings to organize your outline, this makes it easier to read and understand.
- Your outline should be clear and logical, reflecting the content of your article accurately so make sure to review your outline.
How to Write an Article Paragraph
A paragraph is a group of sentences that are organized and related to a single topic. A Paragraph is an essential part of writing an article or any written communication. They help to break up text and make it easier to read and understand. The paragraph is mainly used to write a large body of work.
Almost all writing that is longer than a few sentences should be divided into paragraphs.
Tips for Writing Effective Paragraphs
Always start with a topic sentence
The first sentence of each paragraph that contains the primary concept or topic is known as a topic sentence.. This sentence should introduce the main point of the paragraph and give each reader an idea of what the paragraph is about.
Include supporting details
After the topic sentence, provide specific information, examples, and evidence to support your main idea. These details should be relevant and specific, and they should be able to illustrate and support your argument.
Use transition words
Transition words or phrases help to connect one idea to another. They show the relationship between different ideas or points and can also be used to introduce a new idea, emphasize a point, provide an example, show cause and effect or show a conclusion. Examples include “and,” “but,” however”, “thus”, “nevertheless”, “despite”, “therefore”, “as a result” “or,” and “so” etc. So using transition words helps to make your writing flow more smoothly and makes it easier for the reader to understand.
Keep it focused
Avoid adding unrelated information, and stay on the topic. Each paragraph should have a clear and focused purpose.
Vary the length and structure of your paragraphs
Paragraphs have different lengths and structures depending on the purpose of your writing. When you vary the length and structure of a paragraph, it can help your writing to be interesting and engaging.
How to Write An Article Conclusion
A conclusion is a final judgement or decision reached by reasoning. This final section of your writing summarizes your main points and gives a final thought for your reader to take away. A Conclusion should always begin with a topic sentence because restating the main points from your introduction in the first sentence of your conclusion is an effective way to remind the reader of the main points or argument.
Tips for writing a strong conclusion
Restate your main points
Using a few sentences, restate the topic or main points or arguments that you made in your writing and why it is essential.
Avoid repeating your introduction
Despite writing a good introduction, the conclusion should not simply repeat the introduction. Instead, it should address opposing viewpoints and explain why readers should align with your position, and build on and extend your argument.
Give a final impression
The conclusion is a good place to leave the reader with a lasting impression. This could be a call to action, a recommendation, or a reflection on the significance of your article.
A conclusion should be 3-5 sentences
It shouldn’t be too long or too short. However, a solid conclusion paragraph is 3-5 sentences. This should give you enough time to review your main topics and major points without being too brief.
Edit your conclusion
Check your conclusion for spelling and grammar errors, and avoid introducing new information in the conclusion.
In a nutshell, a conclusion outline entails:
- Topic sentence
- Supporting sentences
- Closing sentence
In conclusion, It is important to know that writing an article is not just rewarding but challenging and requires attention to detail. To write an effective and well-written article, it is important to choose a topic you are passionate about, do thorough research, create an outline, write a draft, and edit your work appropriately.
By following the steps listed in this article, you can create a well-written article that you will be proud of, one that will effectively communicate your ideas with your audience. Your writing doesn’t depend on the kind of laptop or smartphone you use but on how well you know how to write.
If this article gave you new insights and enlightened you, kindly leave a comment or share.